What is Effective Altruism?
Effective Altruism (EA) is a philosophy and international social movement which attempts to use reason and evidence to figure out how to do the most good in the world.
You can learn more about Effective Altruism on the Effective Altruism website. If you're interested in maximising the positive impact of your career, 80,000 Hours has a great guide.
We're a student-run group based at the University of Edinburgh, though we're also open to non-students. We aim to provide space for people in Edinburgh to learn more about Effective Altruism, help people gain the skills and knowledge they need to maximise their positive impact on the world, and build a supportive and fun EA community here in Edinburgh.
We're running a range of events throughout the year, including:
- Social Events: fun activities to make like-minded friends.
- Intro Fellowship Programme: A structured programme to explore Effective Altruism. Sessions will be run weekly in small groups of 3 or 4 with a facilitator to guide learning. We consider this a particularly effective way to develop understanding of EA principles, techniques, and arguments.
- In-Depth Fellowship Programme: Similar to the intro fellowship programme, but aimed at people familiar with EA, who want to explore topics in more depth.
- Discussion Group: A series of larger group discussions about various EA topics. Each meeting we'll nominate someone to choose an EA article, podcast, video, paper or idea to discuss at the next meeting and come up with discussion points.
- Book Club: we'll send you a free copy of an EA-related book which we'll read and discuss weekly.
- Speaker Events: talks from specialists in high-impact fields.
- 1-to-1s: You can book 1-to-1s with a committee member to discuss specific aspects of effective altruism, including career advice. Book now by filling out the Google Form.
To get the latest news about upcoming events at EA Edinburgh and in the wider EA community, sign up to our mailing list. You can also subscribe to our events Google calendar. If you don't have Google calendar, you can subscribe via ical, or alternatively just view the calendar.
You can get in touch and keep up to date via:
- Email: [email protected]
- WhatsApp: get an invite to our WhatsApp group at an event, or by sending us an email.
- Discord: get a Discord invite at an event, or by sending us an email.
- Facebook: EffectiveAltruismEdinburgh
- Meetup: Edinburgh-Effective-Altruism
- Eventbrite: Follow us here
- 1-to-1: fill out a Google Form
- Calendar: subscribe to events via Google calendar or other calendar apps